Tuesday 23 May 2017

Wheel pose

Urdhva Dhanurasana also known as wheel pose (chakrasana) is an advanced backbend that offers many benefits to the body, mind and spirit. The wheel pose  is my favourite pose because I hardly struggle to go into this position and getting out of it is quite easy for me. When I was as young as 7 I could bend my back into a wheel-pose ( I just didn't know I was doing yoga). My body has always been flexible and I used to think I would not be able to bend my body like this as I grew older but lo and behold I still have it lol. Please do not attempt any advanced poses without the guidance of a professional yoga instructor.
Here are a few benefits of the wheel pose:

*Stretches the chest and lungs.
*Strengthens the arms, wrists, legs, abdomen and spine.
*Stimulates the thyroid.
*Wheel pose strengthens and lengthens the vertebrae which increases elasticity and flexibility of the spine.
* Wheel pose loosens tight hips, hence,increased hip flexibility.
*It is said that the wheel pose ignites all seven of the chakras keeping all the processes of the body in harmony with each other.

Source for yoga benefits (www.mindbodygreen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment